NCATS Stats Advance: Riverside Speedway
Series Release/Photo by Robert Laberge/NASCAR via Getty Images
Analyzing The Wounded Warriors Canada 300 At Riverside International Speedway
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Aug. 12, 2015) – The 2015 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 season will continue with the Wounded Warriors Canada 300 on Saturday at Riverside International Speedway in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Below is a statistical look at the performance of the series and selected drivers at the track:
Wounded Warriors Canada 300 Setup:
· Antigonish’s own Donald Chisholm is the defending winner of the Wounded Warriors Canada 300. He was victorious from the pole in last year’s event at Riverside International Speedway, a track owned by his family.
· Mark Dilley is the only driver to finish in the top 10 in each of the eight all-time NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 races at Riverside. He won 2007’s inaugural event.
· Scott Steckly leads Andrew Ranger by just six points with three races remaining on the schedule while Jason Hathaway is 10 points out. All three have won before at Riverside.
At Riverside International Speedway:
· Opened in 1969 as a .333-mile scaled version of Tennessee’s .533-mile Bristol Motor Speedway.
· Played host to the former NASCAR North Tour in the early 1980s.
· Was completely rebuilt in 2006.
· Mark Dilley won the inaugural NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 race at Riverside on Sept. 16, 2007. Peter Gibbons captured the first Riverside pole.
· The previous eight events have produced seven different race victors, led by D.J. Kennington’s two triumphs.
· There have been five different pole winners in eight events, topped by three from Scott Steckly.
· Four drivers have participated in all eight previous events, and all are expected to extend the streak this week.
· The race has twice been won from the pole: Steckly-2011, Donald Chisholm-2014
· Dodge has been the winning manufacturer in five events.
· The first six editions of this event took place in September. The race date moved to August in 2013.
Riverside International Speedway Data
Race #: 9 of 11
Track Layout: .333-mile oval
Banking/Turns: 14 degrees
Banking/Straights: Frontstretch – 6 degrees, Backstretch – 5 degrees
Race Length: 300 laps (99.99 miles).
Telecast: TSN – Sat., Aug. 22, 6 p.m.; RDS2 – Fri., Sept. 4, 7:30 p.m.
2014 Race Winner: Donald Chisholm, Ford, 58.813 mph, 1:41:55
2014 Pole Winner: Donald Chisholm, Ford, 82.443 mph, 14.541 secs.
Qualifying Record: Scott Steckly, Dodge, 82.973 mph, 14.448 secs., Sept. 18, 2010
Category Leaders at Riverside International Speedway:
1. D.J. Kennington … 2
2. six drivers with … 1
1. Scott Steckly … 3
2. J.R. Fitzpatrick … 2
3. three drivers with … 1
1. Mark Dilley … 6
D.J. Kennington … 6
3. Ron Beauchamp Jr. … 4
Scott Steckly … 4
1. Mark Dilley … 8
2. D.J. Kennington … 6
3. five drivers with … 5
1. Scott Steckly … 578
2. D.J. Kennington … 447
3. J.R. Fitzpatrick … 350
1. Mark Dilley … 2,396
2. Jason Hathaway … 2,149
3. Donald Chisholm … 2,081
Select Driver Highlights:
· Has a pole and eight top 10s in 15 career NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 starts.
· Ranks sixth in points this year with three top fives and six top 10s. Leads the Jostens Rookie of the Year standings.
· Has three top fives, an average finish of eighth and a best result of third (2015-Autodrome St-Eustache) in six career oval races.
· This will be his first career appearance at Riverside International Speedway.
Donald Chisholm (No. 89 Nova Construction Ford)
· Has a win, a pole and eight top 10s in 17 career NCATS races.
· The win and pole came in this race last year. Has five top 10s and an average finish of 8.5 in the eight previous events at Riverside, his family’s track.
· This will be his first series appearance of 2015.
Mark Dilley (No. 02 Johnsonville/Leland/BDI Ford)
· Has three wins, three poles, 32 top fives and 51 top 10s in 89 career starts.
· Has competed in five of eight events this year, all on ovals, and ranks 13th in points with a pair of top fives.
· All of his wins and poles have come on ovals, where he has 41 top 10s and an average finish of ninth in 66 starts.
· Won the series’ inaugural event at Riverside (2007), where he’s posted top 10s in all eight events with a series-best average finish of 4.8.
J.F. Dumoulin (No. 04 Spectra Premium/Bernier Crepeau Dodge)
· Has 13 top 10s in 27 career starts with a best finish of third in the 2015 opener at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
· Sits ninth in the standings with four top 10s in eight events in his first full-time season.
· Has three top 10s with an average finish of 14th and a best run of fifth (2015-Sunset Speedway) in five oval starts.
· This will be his first appearance at Riverside.
L.P. Dumoulin (No. 47 WeatherTech Canada/Bellemare Dodge)
· The 2014 NCATS Champion and 2011 Rookie of the Year has four wins, a pole, 22 top fives and 35 top 10s in 56 career starts.
· Ranks fourth in points with top 10s in seven of eight events and a best result of second at Edmonton International Raceway.
· Has a win (2014-Auto Clearing Motor Speedway), 18 top 10s and an average finish of 10th in 30 career oval starts.
· Has an average finish of 13th and a best result of sixth (2014) in four previous races at Riverside.
Jason Hathaway (No. 3 Fast Eddie/Choko/HGC Chevrolet)
· Has six wins and 64 top 10s in 105 career starts. Is one of three drivers that have run every race in NCATS history.
· Ranks third in points on the strength of a win (Autodrome Chaudiere) and six top 10s in eight starts.
· All six of his wins have come on ovals, where he’s compiled 47 top 10s and an average finish of 11th across the 68 all-time oval events.
· Has a win (2013), five top 10s and an average finish of eighth in the eight Riverside races.
D.J. Kennington (No. 17 Castrol Edge/Mahindra Tractors Dodge)
· The 2010 and 2012 NCATS champion. Maintains series records for top fives (71) and top 10s (88), and is one of three drivers to start each of the 106 all-time events. Also ranks second in series history in wins (19), laps led (2,758) and fifth in poles (10).
· Has a streak of 69-consecutive races without at DNF. Last DNF came at Riverside in 2009.
· Sits fifth in points after eight races with six top 10s and a best finish of third at Chaudiere.
· Has 16 wins, 10 poles, 43 races led, 57 top 10s and an average finish of sixth in 68 oval races.
· Is the only driver with two wins (2010, `12) at Riverside, where he’s registered six top fives and an average finish of seventh with a pole (2009).
Gary Klutt (No. 59 CLT Corp./Legendary Motorcar Dodge)
· Has a win, two poles and nine top 10s in 14 career NCATS starts.
· Ranks eighth in points with top-10 finishes in six of eight races this year.
· Has a pole (2015-Sunset Speedway), four top 10s, an average finish of 11th and a best result of sixth (Sunset) in six oval appearances.
· This will be his first appearance at Riverside.
Andrew Ranger (No. 27 Mopar/Pennzoil Dodge)
· The 2007 and 2009 champion is the series’ all-time leader in wins at 20 and is tied for the poles record at 16. Has 48 top fives and 67 top 10s in 80 career starts.
· Is second in points after eight events with seven top 10s, highlighted by a win at St-Eustache.
· Has five wins, 35 top 10s and an average finish of seventh in 46 career oval races.
· Has a win (2009), three top 10s and an average finish of seventh in five Riverside races.
Scott Steckly (No. 22 Canadian Tire Dodge)
· Has a series-leading three championships (2008, ‘11, ‘13) through the first eight years of NCATS competition.
· Owner of 18 wins, 16 poles, 64 top fives and 79 top 10s. Is tied for the all-time poles lead with Andrew Ranger while his top fives and top 10s totals rank second all-time. His wins total sits third in the record book. Is the all-time leader in races (54) and laps led (4,638), and is one of three drivers to start each of the 106 all-time events.
· All 18 of his wins and 13 of his poles have come on ovals, where he’s led a record 48 races that have resulted in 43 top fives and 51 top 10s in 68 outings.
· Has a win (2011), three poles (2010, `11, `13), five top 10s and an average finish of eighth in the eight Riverside races.
Other Driver Notes
· Josh Collins and David Michaud are set to become the 150th and 151st competitors in NCATS history with their series debuts at Riverside. Collins will also become the first Newfoundland native to participate in the series.
· John Flemming will join Chisholm as the Nova Scotia natives on the entry list. Flemming has two previous NCATS starts, both at Riverside.
Up To Speed:
· The 2015 season is the ninth for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1.
· The 2015 schedule features 11 races at 10 different tracks across five provinces.
· Rookie Gary Klutt won the season-opening Pinty’s presents the Clarington 200 from the pole at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park on May 17.
· Jason Hathaway reached Budweiser 300 Victory Lane for the second year in a row at Autodrome Chaudiere on June 13.
· Alex Tagliani earned his first NCATS oval victory on June 20 when he won the inaugural Sunset Speedway event.
· Kevin Lacroix reached Victory Lane in just his second NCATS appearance when he won at Circuit ICAR on July 5.
· The western swing began on July 11 at Edmonton International Raceway with Scott Steckly winning in wire-to-wire fashion, a series first in an oval event.
· Steckly completed his western swing sweep as he won from the pole on July 15 at Auto Clearing Motor Speedway.
· Andrew Ranger extended his streak for years with a win to nine with his first career victory at Autodrome St-Eustache on July 25.
· Lacroix passed Ranger on the last lap at Circuit de Trois-Rivieres to win the JuliaWine.com Le 50 Tours on Aug. 2.
· Following the Wounded Warriors Canada 300, the series will have an off-week before returning to action on Aug. 29-30 at CTMP.