Raynes, MacKinnon, Sommerville Take 50 Lap Features at Speedway 660
Track Release/Photo by Michelle Roy/Speedway 660
(June 27, 2015) On Saturday night Lonnie Sommerville became the first Re/Max Group Four Realty Pro Stock driver to win two 50 lap features at Speedway 660 in 2015. But it wasn’t easy for the Barnesville, New Brunswick driver who just won his first feature of the season last week.
“We had to work harder tonight than we did last Saturday night, it was like driving on black ice because the car was slipping and sliding the whole race” said Sommerville from the Riverview Ford Victory Lane. “To win two weeks in a row in this tough Pro Stock division is a big accomplishment and I really want to thank my crew and especially Bob Colqhoun, from Pub’s Drive Thru Bottle Exchange for all he has done over the years to support my racing efforts.”
While Sommerville celebrated a second straight win, Paul Gahan and Dave O’Blenis both were happy with their 2nd and 3rd place finishes. It was the best finish of the season for both veteran drivers. Matt Harris and Brady Creamer won the Pro Stock heat races.
There were two other 50 lap features on Saturday night. Rob Raynes continued his strong start to 2015 by winning the DMR Auto Sales & Service Street Stock feature. Rookie Courtney O’Blenis had an incredible 2nd place finish, while Roger Slocum came home 3rd. Raynes and Tyler Seveck won the Street Stock heat races.
“Fifty laps in a Street Stock is a long, hard run and I’m happy to win tonight and glad we went caution free in the race” said Raynes. “I want to congratulate Courtney for her great run tonight and of course Roger is always a contender in these Street Stock races.”
The Fredericton Gun Shop Sharp Shooters had fans on the edge of their seat in their 50 lap feature. Twenty cars started the race but several were forced to drop out because of mechanical issues. When the dust and smoked cleared the air, Kyle McKinnon went to victory lane. Matt Crocker was 2nd, while Malcolm Suley drove to a 3rd place finish. Crocker and Courtney Barton were the heat winners.
“It’s a lot to ask these little four cylinder, front wheel drives to run 50 laps and I’m pretty pleased our car held together” said MacKinnon. “A lot of good cars didn’t make it to the checkers and I’m not so sure we would have won if Matt hadn’t run short on fuel on the last lap.”
A couple of veterans took the top two spots in the Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman 40 lap feature. Randy Moore won the race, while Richard Atkinson was second, just ahead of Drew Greenlaw. Moore and Matt Rodgers were the Sportsman heat winners.
Braden Langille continued his dominance in the West Wood Estates Bandolero division. The youngster, from Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, won the feature finishing ahead of Ashton Tucker and MacKenzie Brewer. Langille also won the Bando heat race.
Next week the Parts for Trucks Pro Stock Tour heads to Speedway 660. The Cummins 100 is the only Maritime Tour race of the season in the Geary Woods. Fans will also see racing in the DMR Auto Sales & Service Street Stock and Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman divisions.
Speedway 660 Feature Results – June 27th, 2015
Re/Max Pro Stocks
1. Lonnie Sommerville (Saint John, NB), 2. Paul Gahan (Lower St Mary’s, NB), 3. Dave O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 4. Kevin Moore (Fredericton, NB), 5. Brady Creamer (Miramichi, NB), 6. Matt Harris (Fredericton Jct., NB), 7. Cole Boudreau (Chipman, NB), 8. Glyn Nott (Burton, NB), 9. Alexandra O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 10. Alicia Mowat (Hardwood Ridge, NB), 11. Robbie Fraser (Riverview, NB), 12. John Rankin (St.Martins, NB), 13. Derek Christie (Fredericton, NB), 14. Dustin Tucker (Fredericton, NB), 15. Greg Fahey (St. Stephen, NB), 16. Robert Minor (Fredericton, NB)
DMR Auto Sales & Service Street Stocks
1. Robert Raynes (Summerville, NB), 2. Courtney O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 3. Roger Slocum (Chipman, NB), 4. Ryan Raynes, 5. Luc McLaughlin (Geary, NB), 6. Destiny Enkel (Saint John, NB), 7. Tyler Seveck (Nackawic, NB), 8. Rodney Ness (Hanwell, NB), 9. Lee Goodine, 10. Andre Chamberlain (Fredericton), 11. Geoff Tugwell (Moncton, NB), 12. Rick Cashol (Saint John, NB)
Fredericton Gun Shop Sharp Shooters
1. Kyle MacKinnon, 2. Matt Crocker (Fredericton, NB), 3. Malcolm Suley (Clarendon, NB), 4. Kyle Boudreau, 5. Brody Levesque (Fredericton, ), 6. Ryan Richard, 7. Noah Gillespie, 8. Allison Hall, 9. Robert Colquhoun (Rothesay, ), 10. Brandon Powe, 11. Neil Miousse (Fredericton, NB), 12. Courtney Barton (Minto, NB), 13. Adam Gavel, 14. Jeremy Doran (Fredericton, NB), 15. Jacob Logan (Harvey, NB), 16. Bryan Suttie (Keswick, NB), 17. James McCoy, 18. Brian Maillet, 19. Ira Farnell (Lincoln, NB), 20. Curtis Collins, 21. Evan Gallon (Saint John, NB)
Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman
1. Randy Moore (Saint John, NB), 2. Richard Atkinson (Haneytown, NB), 3. Drew Greenlaw (Eastport, ME), 4. Alexandra O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 5. Devin Snell (Saint John, ), 6. Ryan Messer (Harvey, NB), 7. Matt Rodgers (Smithtown, NB), 8. Dawson McIntee (Moncton, NB), 9. Justin Cole (Harvey , NB), 10. Shawn Warren (Waasis, NB), 11. Braxton Stafford, 12. George Jamieson (Fredericton, NB), 13. Kyle Orr (Saint John, NB), 14. Jeff Doherty, 15. Andrew Rodgers (Smithtown, NB), 16. Darren Beatty (Lakeville Corner, NB), 17. Kyle Carr (Saint John, NB)
West Wood Estates Bandoleros
1. Braden Langille (Shubenacadie, NS), 2. Ashton Tucker (Lyttleton, NB), 3. Mackenzie Brewer (Quispamsis, NB), 4. Hudson Weston (Saint John, NB), 5. Riley Goodwin, 6. Adrian Stairs