NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Statistical Advance: Sunset
Series Release/Matthew Murnaghan
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (June 17, 2015) – The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 will contest its inaugural Sunset Speedway event with the Leland Industries 300 presented by Johnsonville Saturday in Innisfil, Ontario. Below is a statistical look at the performance of the series and selected drivers:
Leland Industries 300 Setup:
· Jason Hathaway won the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series’ 100th all-time event last week. He has been victorious in five of the series’ last 11 oval track races.
· Mark Dilley is the general manager at Sunset Speedway. A three-time winner during his NCATS career, Dilley will relinquish his track duties for Saturday to compete in the race.
· Including last week at Autodrome Chaudiere, Alex Labbe has won the pole in two of his three NCATS oval contests, and twice has finished as the runner-up in those races.
· Entrants in this race have combined to win 70% (45 of 64) of all oval events in series history: Dilley (3), Hathaway (6), D.J. Kennington (16), Andrew Ranger (4) and Scott Steckly (16).
At Sunset Speedway:
· Sunset Speedway opened in 1968 as a quarter-mile oval.
· The track was resurfaced and expanded to .333-miles in 2009.
· Is a NASCAR Whelen All-American Series weekly racing member track for the first time in 2015.
· Will become the 11th different oval to play host to a NASCAR Canadian Tire Series event since the series’ inaugural 2007 season.
Race #: 3 of 11
Track Layout: .333-mile asphalt oval
Banking/Turns: progressive to 13 degrees
Race Length: 300 laps (100 miles)
Select Driver Highlights:
Mark Dilley (No. 02 Johnsonville/Leland/BDI Ford)
· Has three wins, three poles, 30 top fives and 49 top 10s in 85 career NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 starts.
· All of his wins and poles have come on ovals, where he has 39 top 10s and an average finish of 8.5 in 62 starts.
· Has a NCATS inaugural event win to his credit: Riverside International Speedway in 2007.
L.P. Dumoulin (No. 47 WeatherTech Canada/Bellemare Dodge)
· The 2014 NCATS Champion and 2011 Rookie of the Year has four wins, a pole, 18 top fives and 30 top 10s in 50 career starts.
· Has a win (2014 Auto Clearing Motor Speedway), 15 top 10s and an average finish of 10th in 26 career oval starts. Maintains a streak of eight-consecutive top-10 finishes on ovals.
Jason Hathaway (No. 3 Brakeworks/Fast Eddie/ HGC Chevrolet)
· Has six wins and 61 top 10s in 100 career starts. Is one of three drivers to compete in every race in NCATS history.
· All six of his wins have come on ovals, where he has posted 44 top 10s and an average finish of eighth in 64 starts.
· Won last week at Autodrome Chaudiere to defend his victory of the track’s 2014 inaugural NCATS event.
· Competed in four of the first six NASCAR Whelen All-American Series late model features at Sunset Speedway this year and posted three top 10s.
D.J. Kennington (No. 17 Castrol Edge/Mahindra Tractors Dodge)
· The 2010 and 2012 NCATS champion. Maintains series record for career wins (tied-19), top fives (69) and top 10s (84), and is one of three drivers to start each of the 100 all-time events. Also ranks second in series history in laps led (2,754) and fifth in poles (10).
· Has a streak of 63-consecutive races without at DNF. Last DNF came at Riverside International Speedway in 2009.
· His 16 oval wins are tied with Scott Steckly for the most in NCATS history, and all 10 of his career poles have been earned on ovals. He has an average finish of sixth with 42 races led and 55 top 10s in 64 career oval events.
Gary Klutt (No. 59 CLT Corp./Legendary Motorcar Dodge)
· Has a win, a pole and five top 10s in eight career NCATS starts. Both the pole and win came in this year’s season-opener at CTMP.
· Finished seventh last week at Chaudiere. His only other previous oval start was the 2014 season finale at Kawartha Speedway.
Alex Labbe (No. 36 Lou’s BBQ/Cathcart Trucking Dodge)
· Has two poles, three top fives and five top 10s in 10 career starts.
· In three career NCATS oval starts he has recorded two poles (Autodrome St-Eustache-2014, Chaudiere-2015) and his best overall career finish of second (Riverside-2014, Chaudiere-2015).
· Led his first career laps (110) last week at Chaudiere.
Andrew Ranger (No. 27 Mopar/Pennzoil Dodge)
· The 2007 and 2009 champion is tied for the series’ all-time wins lead (19) and ranks second in poles (15). Has 44 top fives and 62 top 10s in 74 career starts.
· Has four wins, 15 races led, 32 top 10s and an average finish of seventh in 42 career oval starts.
Scott Steckly (No. 22 Canadian Tire Dodge)
· Has a series-leading three championships (2008, `11, `13) through the first eight years of NCATS competition.
· Owner of 16 wins, 13 poles, 60 top fives and 73 top 10s. His top fives and top 10s totals rank second all-time while his wins and poles sit third in the record book. Is the all-time leader in laps led at 3,891 and is one of three drivers to start each of the 100 all-time events.
· All 16 of his wins have come on ovals, where he’s posted 40 top fives, 47 top 10s, 44 races led and an average finish of 6.5 in 64 events.
· Led a race-high 153 laps at Chaudiere, but finished 16th. Has won only twice in the last six races where he’s posted more than 100 laps led.
Alex Tagliani (No. 18 EpiPen/CGI/CanTorque Chevrolet)
· Has a win, five poles and 10 top 10s in 26 career NCATS starts.
· Has a pole, four top 10s, an average finish of 14th and a best result of fifth (2014 Auto Clearing) in 12 oval starts.
Other Driver Notes
· In addition to Jason Hathaway, NCATS drivers Dwayne Baker and Larry Jackson have also competed in NWAAS late models at Sunset this year.
· Cayden Lapcevich is the defending champion, and current points leader, of Sunset’s NWAAS super stock division.
· J.F. Dumoulin finished 14th at Chaudiere last week in his first career NCATS oval start.
· Noel Dowler and Jason White are scheduled to make their 2015 debuts in this event.
Up To Speed:
· The 2015 season is the ninth for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1.
· The 2015 schedule features 11 races at 10 different tracks across five provinces.
· Rookie Gary Klutt won the season-opening Pinty’s presents the Clarington 200 from the pole at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park on May 17.
· Jason Hathaway reached Budweiser 300 Victory Lane for the second year in a row at Autodrome Chaudiere on June 13.
· The series will return to action July 4-5 on the airport course at Circuit ICAR in Mirabel, Quebec.
|02||Mark Dilley, Barrie, Ont.||Johnsonville/Leland/BDI Ford||Susan Micks||Rino Montanari|
|3||Jason Hathaway, St. Thomas, Ont.||Brakeworks/Fast Eddie/HGC Chevrolet||Ed Hakonson||Craig Masters|
|04||J.F. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que.||Bernier Crepeau Chrysler/Bellemare Dodge||Eric Kerub||Eric Laperle|
|5||Noel Dowler, Sherwood Park, Alta.||Empire Mechanical Chevrolet||Kevin Dowler||Dave Jacombs|
|9||Dwayne Baker, Barrie, Ont. *||GD Coates Superstore/Baker Perf. Dodge||Susan Micks||Kyle Baker|
|17||D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont.||Castrol Edge/Mahindra Tractors Dodge||Doug Kennington||Dave Wight|
|18||Alex Tagliani, Lachenaie, Que.||EpiPen/CGI/CanTorque Chevrolet||Colin Livingston||Tyler Case|
|21||Jason White, Sun Peaks, B.C.||Hal-Nor Plumbing/Powder Ventures Dodge||Rob McConnell||Rob McConnell|
|22||Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont.||Canadian Tire Dodge||Scott Steckly||Randy Steckly|
|25||Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont.||Canada’s Best Store Fixtures Ford||Bud Morris||Ryan Weiss|
|27||Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que.||Mopar/Pennzoil Dodge||Dwight Kennedy||Bill Burns|
|36||Alex Labbe, Victoriaville, Que.||Lou’s BBQ/Cathcart Trucking Dodge||Dave Jacombs||Randy Smith|
|47||L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que.||WeatherTech Canada/Bellemare Dodge||Martin Roy||Mario Gosselin|
|56||Matthew Scannell, Rockwood, Ont.||OMVIC/IGPC Ethanol/B&B Decals Dodge||Daniel Bray||Howie Scannell Jr.|
|59||Gary Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont. *||CTL Corp/Legendary Motorcar Dodge||Peter Klutt||John Fletcher|
|76||Cayden Lapcevich, Grimsby, Ont. *||Tim Hortons Dodge||Sherri Lapcevich||Don Thomson Jr.|
|87||Erica Thiering, Sherwood Park, Alta. *||#RaceCarByAva/CBRT Ford||Bud Morris||Daniel Bois|
|95||Anthony Simone, Aurora, Ont.||Innovative Plumbing & Mechanical Dodge||Peter Simone||Jeff Walt|
|98||Larry Jackson, Oakville, Ont.||OMVIC/IGPC Ethanol/BramKal Dodge||Jim Bray||Ron Easton|
|99||Marc-Antoine Camirand, Saint-Leonard-d’Aston, Que. *||Grafoid/Braille Battery Chevrolet||Derek White||Robin McCluskey|
* Jostens Rookie of the Year contender
Entry List as of June 10