Eddie MacDonald Goes Flag-to-Flag in Caution Free ACT Event
New Smyrna Beach, FL – “Outlaw” Eddie MacDonald of Rowley, MA led flag-to-flag in the caution free American Canadian Tour 100 at New Smyrna Speedway in New Smyrna Beach, FL on Sunday, February 15. MacDonald earned the pole position after racing from 9th to 2nd in his heat race to give him a +7 in ACT’s unique plus/minus handicap system.
MacDonald led the 26 car field to the green and held off defending Série ACT Champion Alex Labbe through the early stages of the event. He set a blistering pace, but couldn’t shake Labbe, Travis Stearns and Wayne Helliwell, Jr. during the first half of the race.
Another Quebecer in Patrick Laperle challenged MacDonald through the second half of the race. Laperle marched from his 14th starting postion to take over the second spot just past the halfway mark. He made it to MacDonald’s back bumper, but couldn’t make a move for the lead. He chased MacDonald through heavy lapped traffic and appeared to be in position to make a challenge on several occasions, but couldn’t get it done.
MacDonald and Laperle took the checkered flag in the top two spots, while Helliwell made a last lap pass to claim third. Stearns ran up front throughout the event and claimed fourth, while defending ACT Champion Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. worked his way from the 16th starting position to complete the top five. Labbe fell back to sixth followed by Aaron Fellows, Ray Parent, Luke Hinkley and Brad Babb rounding out the top ten.
The 100 lap event was completed caution free in 33 minutes and 42 seconds. A total of 23 of the 26 starters were on the track for the checkered flag. Only the top ten remained on the lead lap.
All 26 cars survived the first of three nights of American Canadian Tour racing at New Smyrna Speedway. Emily Packard will join the field tomorrow to bring the count up to 27. The first of two American Racer Challenge Cup 100 lap events will be run on Monday, February 16. Heat races will roll out at 7:30pm. The second and final American Racer Challenge Cup 100 will be run on Tuesday, February 17. Drivers will combine their two finishes in the American Racer Challenge Cup events on Monday and Tuesday to decide the overall Challenge Cup winner.
ACT 100 Unofficial Results
New Smyrna Speedway – New Smyrna Beach, FL
Sunday, February 15, 2015
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
- (1) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 100 Laps
- (14) Patrick Laperle, St-Denis, QC, 100 Laps
- (5) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 100 Laps
- (3) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 100 Laps
- (16) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 100 Laps
- (2) Alex Labbe, St-Albert, QC, 100 Laps
- (7) Aaron Fellows, Croydon, NH, 100 Laps
- (6) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 100 Laps
- (10) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 100 Laps
- (11) Brad Babb, Windham, ME, 100 Laps
- (26) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 99 Laps
- (8) Tom Carey, Jr., New Salem, MA, 99 Laps
- (12) Rowland Robinson, Jr., Steuben, ME, 99 Laps
- (9) Brandon Atkins, Au Sable Forks, NY, 99 Laps
- (13) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 99 Laps
- (21) Josh Demers, Montpelier, VT, 99 Laps
- (25) Pete Yetman, Peru, MA, 99 Laps
- (4) Jeff Rocco, Wallingford, CT, 99 Laps
- (18) Keith Rocco, Berlin, CT, 99 Laps
- (23) Daniel Descoste, St-Joseph, QC, 99 Laps
- (15) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, 99 Laps
- (19) Dylan Smith, Concord, NC, 98 Laps
- (24) Brandon White, Kahnawake, QC, 66 Laps
- (17) Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 35 Laps
- (22) Edward Leclerc, Jr., Taunton, MA, 7 Laps
- (20) Jean-Pierre Ouimet, Terrebonne, QC, 1 Laps
Lap Leaders: Eddie MacDonald, 1-100.
Time of Race: 33:42
Margin of Victory: .987 seconds
Heat Winners: Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Alex Labbe, Brandon Atkins