Speedway 660 Crowns Weekly Racing Champions
Track Release/Mike McCarthy Photo
On Saturday night, Dave O’Blenis became the first driver in Speedway 660 history to win three championships in a row. O’Blenis won the Re/Max Group Four Realty Pro Stock Division title for the fifth time over-all.
“I never realized until earlier this week that no-one had ever won three titles in a row here at Speedway 660, so this is an awesome accomplishment” O’Blenis said in front of the Night of Champions crowd. “The Re/Max Pro Stock division is tough and I want to thank our team for all of their hard work over the years and acknowledge all of the other drivers and their crews who make this division so competitive.”
Cole Boudreau won the Pro Stock Rookie of the year award. Chris Duncan will carry a lot of momentum into SpeedWeekend’s Re/Max 250. Duncan won the Pro Stock heat, dash and feature to pick up a Jensen Financial Hat-Trick Award. Derek Christie was second in the feature, followed by O’Blenis. Brady Creamer won the other Pro Stock heat race.
The Night of Champions Pro Stock race marked the end of the racing careers of Brian Gillespie and Brad Mann. Gillespie, who won seven Speedway 660 titles and Mann who won two Pro Stock championships are hanging up their racing helmets after incredible careers in the sport.
Brent Roy won the Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman championship. He did it with a solid third place finish in the feature. Drew Greenlaw, who won the Sportsman Rookie of the Year Award, was second to Andrew Rodgers who won the feature. Greenlaw also won the Sportsman heat race and dash.
“This championship is dedicated to the memory of my racing buddy Jordan Gahan who we lost in an industrial accident just before the season began” said an emotional Brent Roy. “It took eight years to win the Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman title and we did it tonight using the steering wheel from Jordan’s Pro Stock car.”
Luc McLaughlin is the 2014 DMR Auto Sales & Service Street Stock champion. Luc won the title one year after claiming the Street Stock Rookie of the Year Award. Tyler Seveck is this year’s Rookie of the Year. Chuck Mercer won the Street Stock feature on Saturday night for his first major win of the year. Heidi Cooper was second, followed by Roger Slocum. Seveck won a heat race and the dash, while Andre Chamberlain won the other heat race.
Jeremy Doran capped off a great season with the Fredericton Gun Shop Sharp Shooter championship. Kyle Boudreau ended up being Rookie of the Year. Saturday night’s Sharp Shooter feature was won by Neil Miousse who was followed across the finish line by Ira Farnell and Brody Levesque. Miousee and Malcolm Suley won the Sharp Shooter heat races.
Cole Tanner, survived a big wreck in his feature race, but got back on track to win the Westwood Estate Apartments Bandolero Championship. MacKenzie Brewer won the feature ahead of Levi Rossiter and Courtney O’Blenis. Rossiter was the Bando Rookie of the Year. Bando heat races were won by Riley Goodwin and Cory Hall.
Speedway 660 is getting ready for SpeedWeekend 2014. It all begins next Friday night with a free event. Everyone is invited out to the Geary Woods for the Harvey’s Family corn-boil and Tristan Horncastle concert. Next Saturday night the Irving Oil Blending & Packaging Sportsman 150 will high-light action. Then on Sunday over 35 Pro Stock drivers will begin qualifying for the Re/Max 250. And on Monday, the ENDURO Championship 200 will wrap up the Speedway 660 racing season.
Speedway 660 Feature Results, August 23, 2014
Re/Max Group Four Realty Pro Stock Division
1. Chris Duncan (Hampton, NB), 2. Derek Christie (Fredericton, NB), 3. Dave O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 4. Cole Boudreau (Chipman, NB), 5. Kevin Moore (Fredericton, NB), 6. Brian Gillespie (Nackawic, NB), 7. Brad Mann, 8. Glyn Nott (Burton, NB), 9. Brady Creamer (Miramichi, NB), 10. Dana Hamm (Fredericton, NB), 11. Alicia Mowat (Hardwood Ridge, NB), 12. Brent Wiggins (Fredericton, NB), 13. Paul Gahan (Lower St Mary’s, NB).
Martin’s Home Heating Sportsman Division
1. Andrew Rodgers (Smithtown, NB), 2. Drew Greenlaw (Eastport, ME), 3. Brent Roy (Hanwell, NB), 4. Alexandra O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 5. Matt Rodgers (Smithtown, NB), 6. Shawn Warren (Waasis, NB), 7. Steve Seveck (Temperance Vale, NB), 8. Dawson McIntee (Moncton, NB), 9. George Jamieson (Fredericton, NB).
DMR Auto Sales & Service Street Stock Division
1. Chuck Mercer, 2. Heidi Cooper (Hanwell, NB), 3. Roger Slocum (Chipman, NB), 4. Andre Chamberlain (Fredericton), 5. Robert Raynes (Summerville, NB), 6. Luc McLaughlin (Geary, NB), 7. Rick Cashol (Saint John, NB), 8. Geoff Tugwell (Moncton, NB), 9. Ryan Raynes, 10. Destiny Enkel (Saint John, NB), 11. Benji Ruff (Carlow, NB), 12. Peter Martin (Saint John, NB), 13. Tyler Seveck (Nackawic, NB), 14. Gary Wade (Hampton, ), 15. Ryan Donovan, 16. Chuck Morton (Lincoln, NB), 17. Shawn Hyslop (St. Stephen, NB), 18. T.J. Madore (Geary, NB).
Fredericton Gun Shop Sharp Shooter Division
1. Neil Miousse (Fredericton, NB), 2. Ira Farnell (Lincoln, NB), 3. Brody Levesque (Fredericton, ), 4. Jeremy Doran (Fredericton, NB), 5. Bryan Suttie (Keswick, NB), 6. Darren Beatty (Lakeville Corner, NB), 7. Malcolm Suley (Clarendon, NB), 8. Kyle Boudreau, 9. Kyle MacKinnon, 10. Curtis Collins, 11. Ryan Richard, 12. James Courtney (Woodstock), 13. James McCoy, 14. Scott Goodine (Bear Island, NB), 15. Brian Maillet.
Westwood Estate Apartments Bandolero Division
1. Mackenzie Brewer (Quispamsis, NB), 2. Levi Rossiter, 3. Ashton Tucker (Lyttleton, NB), 4. Courtney O’Blenis (Boundary Creek, NB), 5. Hudson Weston (Saint John, NB), 6. Riley Goodwin, 7. Kyle Orr (Saint John, NB), 8. Joahua Langille, 9. Cole Tanner (Shubenacadie, NS), 10. Danny Chisholm, 11. Cory Hall (Jolicure, NB),