Oyster Bed to Host Late Model 100 July 26th, All Sportsman Teams Invited to Compete
The Late Model 100 at Oyster Bed Speedway on Saturday, July 26th just got a bit bigger.
Track officials at the Oyster Bed Bridge, Prince Edward Island track have announced an extended lap, boosted purse event for the Late Model division that will see the invitation extended to Late Model Sportsman drivers in the region to compete with the Island Late Model class. This is the first time the Sportsman class will be eligible to compete at the high banked oval since 2009.
Here are just a few of the details:
– The purse for the event will carry at least an $8,000 payout, with the winner receiving at least a guaranteed $1,000. Full purse breakdown will be announced as the event nears.
– The top finishing Sportsman car will receive an additional $500 – making the event worth a minimum $1,500 to win IF a Sportsman car takes the checkered flag. If the highest finishing Sportsman car is second, then he will take second place purse money plus the $500 bonus, for example.
– Sportsman cars from the mainland will be able to run their rules (complete with the Maritime Tracks Rules Amendments) with the addition of being able to purchase Oyster Bed Speedway track tires. The OBS Late Model division runs on a used Hoosier Pro Stock tire. Tires are available for $30 each on a first come, first serve basis. Teams may also use their used Sportsman tires or source their own used tire should they opt to do so. No new tires may be used in this event.
– There is no entry fee for this event but pre-reigstration is encouraged so the track can prepare for the event (purse, advertising of the race/drivers, etc.). To help with travel costs, mainland teams registered by July 1st will receive a bridge pass ($45 value) as a thank you for early registration. The registration form for the event is available via OysterBedSpeedwayPEI.com.
– Qualifying heat races (along with semis and a “B” feature, if necessary) will set the field for the 100-lap feature.
– The track will be selling laps on the event at $50 a lap, with the proceeds going towards the finishing purse. Over 50% of the laps are currently spoken for.
– Further information, as announced by the track, will be available on their website and here at TimsCorner.ca.
For more competitor or technical information or for general questions on the event, please contact Bill Kinney at (902) 892-6684. For information on Oyster Bed Speedway, visit OysterBedSpeedwayPEI.com.
Photo by McCarthy Photographic